The US Department of Commerce issued a final rule on April 8, 2021, adding seven Chinese technology companies to the Entity List. The seven companies are:
- Tianjin Phytium Information Technology
- Shanghai High-Performance Integrated Circuit Design Center
- Sunway Microelectronics
- The National Supercomputing Center Jinan
- The National Supercomputing Center Shenzhen
- The National Supercomputing Center Wuxi
- The National Supercomputing Center Zhengzhou
The announcement of the additions stated that these “entities are involved with building supercomputers used by China’s military actors, its destabilizing military modernization efforts, and/or weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programs.” The Entity List is a tool utilized by the US Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) to restrict the export, re-export, and in-country transfer of items subject to the EAR. Additional license requirements apply to exports, re-exports, and in-country transfers of items subject to the EAR to entities listed on the Entity List.
The final rule is effective April 8, 2021 and will be published in the Federal Register on April 9, 2021.
More information on the additions to the Entity List can be found here.