Welcome to The Trade Practitioner, a resource for current developments in international trade and national security. This blog provides a wealth of information to help you strengthen organizational trade compliance, gain regulatory understanding and heighten awareness to the impact that national security concerns have on international trade. The blog also tracks important trade policy issues and international trade agreement negotiations. The Topics column below organizes our blog posts by focus areas, and the sections on CFIUS Resources, Sanctions: Non-US Organizations and Persons (e.g., Russia) and Learning Center are reservoirs of pertinent official government publications and our original contents, including thought leadership, presentations and training materials. Scroll down further to Events and Training Opportunities for information on a variety of gatherings that may be of interest to you.
We update our CFIUS Resources page continuously to provide you with reliable, timely information on CFIUS filings and statuses, and related regulatory developments.
|SANCTIONS: NON-US ORGANIZATIONS AND PERSONS
We track sanctions developments from around the world. In particular, due to the current conflict and crisis in Ukraine, we are focusing on the evolving sanctions imposed by several governments on Russia and Russia-aligned regions and certain individuals. The jurisdictions in focus are:
In our Learning Center you will find PowerPoint presentations and webinars on export controls, sanctions and other trade compliance and policy topics. You will also find our ITAR Practitioner’s Handbook (2019) and other materials.
US Export Controls Workshops – From EAR to ITARnity: Ever-challenging US Export Controls Compliance | June 27-29, 2022 | *In-person*, United Kingdom – The three-day event, co-hosted by Squire Patton Boggs and EGADD, will begin with an executive-level overview of ITAR and EAR and their implications for UK companies, followed by topical workshops administered by legal, business and regulatory experts. See here for additional details and to secure your space.
Russia Sanctions-related Event:
- Webinar: What US Russian Sanctions Mean for US Trade Contracts and Negotiations | March 29, 2022, 3 – 4 p.m. ET – George Grammas is pleased to join the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) to provide an overview on the newly imposed sanctions on Russian entities and individuals and export controls affecting Russia and Russia-aligned regions, as well as practical risk mitigation and management considerations to companies on handling their existing and prospective contracts. *Presentation slides and webinar recording available in Learning Center (see below)*
- Webinar: Russia-related Sanctions and New Export Controls | March 2022 – Our Trade Practitioners George Grammas and Jeremy Paner are pleased to join Content Enablers to highlight key aspects of the recent sanctions and export controls developments related to Russia, and share some best practices to keep businesses competitive. *Presentation slides and webinar recording available in Learning Center (see below)*
- The Conflict in Ukraine: Impact on Capitals, Markets and Boardrooms | March 2022 – From the pandemic to Europe’s largest military conflict since World War II, it seems the world is moving from one extraordinary period to another. The conflict in Europe has generated a maze of rapid legal, political and economic responses from authorities around the globe. Those actions are rippling through capital, markets and boardrooms as businesses grapple with how to respond. Trade Practitioner José María Viñals joins a panel of experts to discuss sanctions from an European perspective. *Download the complete discussion here.*
(And more available in the Learning Center)
- *New* What US Russian Sanctions Mean for US Trade Contracts and Negotiations and webinar recording (March 2022)
- Critical Developments for the Global Supply Chains of Japanese Businesses – webinar recording and presentation (October 2021)
- Introduction to the ITAR (September 2021)
- Introduction to the EAR (September 2021)
- Understanding How the ITAR and the EAR Apply to Contaminated UK Products and Technology, Including EAR De Minimis and Direct Product Rules (September 2021)
- Update on CFIUS and FIRRMA (March 2021)
- Understanding Information and Communication Technology and Services (ICTS) Covered Transactions – Six Categories of ICTS End-Uses (March 2021)
- WATCH: What Are International Sanctions? (January 2021)
The Trade Practitioner is a product of the Squire Patton Boggs International Trade Practice. We hope The Trade Practitioner will become your go-to reference, resource and learning center on different international trade topics. Please contact us at InternationalTradeCompliance@squirepb.com with any questions. For specific inquiries on US export controls compliance, please contact SPBUSExportControls@squirepb.com.