Welcome to The Trade Practitioner, a resource for current developments in international trade and national security. This blog provides a wealth of information to help you strengthen organizational trade compliance, gain regulatory understanding and heighten awareness to the impact that national security concerns have on international trade. The blog also tracks important trade policy issues and international trade agreement negotiations. The Topics column below organizes our blog posts by focus areas, and the sections on CFIUS Resources, Targeted: Non-US Organizations and Persons and Learning Center are reservoirs of pertinent official government publications and our original contents, including thought leadership, presentations and training materials. Scroll down further to Events and Training Opportunities for information on a variety of gatherings that may be of interest to you.
Export Controls & Sanctions
Trade Policy & Market Access
Trade Remedy & Defense
CFIUS Filings & Developments
Customs & Tariffs
US Government Contracts
We update our CFIUS Resources page continuously to provide you with reliable, timely information on CFIUS filings and statuses, and related regulatory developments.
|TARGETED: NON-US ORGANIZATIONS AND PERSONS
We track developments of international trade relevance related to non-US organizations and persons that have been targeted by the US government on the grounds of national security and foreign policy.
In our Learning Center you will find PowerPoint presentations and webinars on export controls, sanctions and other trade compliance and policy topics. You will also find our ITAR Practitioner’s Handbook (2019) and other materials.
Talk to the Experts Virtual Discussion Forum: Multi-country M&A Is Getting More Complex: Evolving FDI Regimes Across the UK, France, Germany, Italy and the US | March 18, 2021, 2-3 p.m. GMT – Our international M&A practitioners, including Trade Practitioner George Grammas, will convene in a panel format to discuss the complex and different national security driven foreign investment screening regimes in key jurisdictions. REGISTER HERE.
(Available in the Learning Center)
- US Compliance Training for China Operations – October 2020. Presented by the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University and Content Enablers, in collaboration with Squire Patton Boggs and the US-China Business Council (USCBC). The interactive webinar discussed the impact of evolving compliance issues and how effective trade compliance training can improve and strengthen doing business with China. Download a copy of George Grammas’s presentation. Watch the event video.
- AfCFTA, Trade and Investment: A Game Changer – October 2020. In partnership with Abrabrand, we convened an expert panel, including representatives from the Africa Union, the business community, and our Africa Practice Group leaders, to examine how the implementation of AfCFTA will transform and reimagine trade and investment for Africa. Watch the event video.
- Introduction to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) – September 2019 | Presentation and webinar.
- Introduction to the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR) – September 2019 | Presentation and webinar.
- Anti-corruption, Sanctions and Compliance for Companies Doing Business Between the US and Russia – May 16, 2019 | Webinar.
The Trade Practitioner is a product of the Squire Patton Boggs International Trade Practice. We hope The Trade Practitioner will become your go-to reference, resource and learning center on different international trade topics. Please contact us at InternationalTradeCompliance@squirepb.com with any questions.